Ad

Sunday, November 2, 2014

Kevin Spacey

English: Kevin Spacey at the Eugene O'Neill Th...
English: Kevin Spacey at the Eugene O'Neill Theater Benefit for a Monte Cristo Award 2009 in Bridgewaters, South Street Seaport. (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

Repost from September 30, 2009





















I have been in love with Kevin Spacey ever since I first saw “The Usual Suspects”:

Verbal Kint:
Who is Keyser Soze? He is supposed to be Turkish. Some say his father was German. Nobody believed he was real. Nobody ever saw him or knew anybody that ever worked directly for him, but to hear Kobayashi tell it, anybody could have worked for Soze. You never knew. That was his power. The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn’t exist. And like that, poof. He’s gone.





(Kevin showing his natural gifts for singing and impressions):






Kevin on IMDb: http://bit.ly/kspaceyIMDb

My “Favorite Actors” Helium article

I mean, the guy played Richard Osborn, the lawyer in Anais Nin’s diaries who wound up in an asylum, and Kevin’s from New Jersey. He’s a man after my own heart!



He and Benicio Del Toro (I just checked: I actually got his name right on the first try for once) were in “The Usual Suspects” and “Swimming with Sharks”: “Rex” (Benicio) gives the rundown of the office in “Swimming With Sharks”



Buddy:
“Look, I can appreciate this. I was young too, I felt just like you. Hated authority, hated all my bosses, thought they were full of shit. Look, it’s like they say, if you’re not a rebel by the age of 20, you got no heart, but if you haven’t turned establishment by 30, you’ve got no brains. Because there are no story-book romances, no fairy-tale endings. So before you run out and change the world, ask yourself, “What do you really want?” “
The “Swimming with Sharks” DVD has a great 10 year anniversary extra in the special features, along with another feature of of horror stories of being an assistant.


The Big Kahuna

I have never seen two people portray burnt-out salesmen better than Kevin Spacey and Danny DeVito in “The Big Kahuna”.
 What’s more, the contrast between the fresh-faced Christian “newbie” Bob (played by Peter Facinelli) and the biting cynicism of Larry Mann (Kevin Spacey) is positively electric.
Bob Walker: Throw me in the water and see if I can swim Larry Mann: I think you’re missing the point here Bob, we’re about to throw you off a cliff and see if you can fly!
In the meantime, Phil Cooper (Danny DeVito) plays it cool, creating a wonderful “good cop, bad cop” dynamic between the two.

 This is one of Danny DeVito's best performances: http://youtu.be/-PkOc-B64dY



I recently learned about Kevin's brother spilling the beans about their past, and while my own family’s past may not be as sordid as having my father (allegedly) be a member of the American Nazi Party, or the other horrific things that his brother said happened to himself, Kevin, and their sister, but I do know dysfunction in the family; very well. There is no such thing as a non-dysfunctional family. There never was. There are just those who choose to be openly dysfunctional and those who choose to hide or bury it like a stray dog burying a bone it found while rooting through the garbage. However, being a born-and-bred Jersey Girl, from a half-Polish household no less, I know the importance of family cohesiveness. Us Polaks take family very seriously. Hell, a lot of the Tri-State area is nothing more than the same group of families meeting and procreating for generations and generations on down the line. And while I absolutely do not condone adults actively seeking out teenagers, I think many Americans understand the waking coma of every day suburban bondage while being lulled to complacency by the the collective drone of all the little worker bees buzzing in the hives of the corporations across the country. That’s why I love being a blogger. I am my own boss, I am my own business. I am not busting my ass for some other pinhead’s end of the year bonus. And trust me when I say: you do not become a successful female entrepreneur by being a wimp.

UPDATED: 11/2/2014

Kevin is now the star of the Netflix original drama "House of Cards", based on the book by Michael Dobbs:



He is also in the video game "Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare"



Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment