Ad

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

GBE2: Expectations

When I was young, I really assumed that I would be a journalist, or at the very least, working for my county's paper, who's building is not too far from where I live. I would have been perfectly happy as an assistant or secretary, as long as I was in the weeds of a newspaper, I knew I'd be in heaven.

I still wish I could have all that, but the choices I have made, made e realize that I was better off doing my own reporting online, either by writing in my own blog or for a website that allows freelance writers.

Creating my own little niche in the blogosphere has really helped my writing process. My thoughts are much more fluid than they were when I first started out 10 or 11 years ago.

I am excited to see what the next ten years will bring.

6 comments:

  1. I had expected that I would become a physical therapist at one point and ended up in the logistics field. I have to say, I absolutely didn't meet that expectation of becoming a PT but ultimately LOVE what I do for a living.

    I love to write as a hobby...and find it so releasing. I look forward to reading more of your work :) Cheers, Jenn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think blogging is one of the best "inventions" of the century. It gives us all a great place to connect, to read, and to be read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. An you undoubtably have. We have been called citizen journalists by one site - a good name because we don't follow the conventions of journalism, but whats in our hearts and souls!

    Regards,

    Peter

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Jenn: thank you for subscribing!

    @Theresa: You're absolutely right!

    @Peter: and we don't have some cruddy corporation breathing down our necks with their stupid agendas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice blog. One of my childhood dreams was to become a journalist. I became a computer programmer instead. Nowadays I run a non-profit newspaper on Facebook. Its good to have that independence.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @eeyorn: Thank you! Yea I'd rather be not making any money and do everything on my own terms.

    ReplyDelete