Ad

Friday, October 28, 2011

The Influential People in My Life

(I wrote this at the end of 2007)



~ My mom.  She comes from a very Anglo-Saxton W.A.S.P.-y type family.  The kind where there was always a home-cooked meal on the table by the time her father got home.  My grandmother kept the house in immaculate condition.  My grandparents very rarely showed any public displays of affection.  I think the last time I ever saw them kiss was when I was really young, I'm talking seven or eight.   So that is how my mom is.  Doesn't show very much physical affection.  She does with my grandaughter, and she did whith my sister and I, but once we grew up, it pretty much stopped.  It doesn't bother me though.  I know she loves me.   She's one of the strongest women I know, but I just wish she would stick up for herself a lot more.  Other than that, I really don't know where I'd be if it weren't for her.
~ My dad.  Jeez, where do I start.  He and I are a lot alike in certain ways, but he is very bad with listening to people.  Other than that, I know that no matter what's going on in my life, if I call my dad in need of help, he's there A.S.A.P.  I love him to death, but it's very hard to live with him.  My sister can attest to that.  He can really grate on your nerves, but he has a heart of gold, and will do anything in his power to help you.  Plus he's got connections coming out of his ears, and that's where I was tought the valuable lesson that in life, it's all about who you know.
~ My sister.  I had to give a toast at her wedding a year and a half ago because I was the maid of honor (and the only person in the bridal party- it was a small wedding!).  My toast basically consisted of how some kinds want to grow up to be a firefighter, or a model, this, that, or the other thing, but all I've ever wanted to be when I grow up was her.  My sister is amazing.  We hardly ever see each other becuase she lives kind of far away, but we have a bond that's never going to be broken.  It's amazing how close we are being that there's an eight year age difference between us. 
~My friend Jake Rabid.  We met through Livejournal a quite a while ago, I believe in 2000.  We've only hung out in person a few times, but he's one of the most important people in my life.  He works harder than I've ever seen anyone work.  He has so many goals and aspirations, and he lets nothing stand in his way to attain them.  He speaks his mind.  He's honest. We've seen each other go through some pretty rough times, and we've helped each other pull through.  We've got each other's backs no matter what.  His determination really helps fuel my own.
~Josh P. I've never met this guy in person, but I've known him for a few years now.  I've watched him climb his way to the top using nothing but his own blood, sweat, and tears.  He's not much of a conversationalist, but he's seen me (well not literally) go through the beginning of this year, the absolute worst and the absolute best time of my life so far.  Even those few words of encouragement he's given me has helped me so much.  He really is one of my role models.  He has taught me that I"ve got to be tough if I'm ever going to make it out alive.  I choose how I want to mold my destiny. Let no one and nothing stand in my way.  No surrender.



No comments:

Post a Comment