Ad

Wednesday, April 2, 2014

#1stworldproblems

A couple of minutes ago, I came into the living room to check on Lexi as I do when I'm trying to get some blogging/writing and various interwebs things I do every day, and she was looking out the window like she usually does.  This time I noticed something: it was the first time Lexi and I have sat in the window off our house and watched a group of neighbor kids play outside because it's a nice day outside.

I know pretty much everyone my age in my small town.  There was a gap in time where there just weren't very many kids around.  Halloween in my neck of the woods was so dead then that sometimes I swore I saw the ghost of a tumbleweed or two cutting through our lawn asking for candy. 

Obviously I couldn't blame gadget pr0n for the fact that you hardly ever saw kids in my neighborhood running around outside like my classmates and I used to on , but I think it's safe to say that now I can.

As a parent, I truly believe that WiFi is the enemy, and should be treated as such.  There needs to be a cyber Neighborhood Watch program in every town.  Facebook groups would be a good place to hold meetings and add updates. "My kid is being punished for letting his grades slip because he spent too much time faffing about online then doing his homework, pass it on!"  Sneaking off to use the computer of a kid who's not being punished would pretty much stop, or at least slow it way down.  To beat the enemy you must know the enemy, etc.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War    

No comments:

Post a Comment