Ad

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Little Boxes, on the Hillside





"You know those photos you always see of smiling families on a mantelpiece? I can't even look at them, cuz you never know what they're hiding". -Sienna Miller as Edie Sedgwick (Factory Girl)



Scratch the surface, most are satisfied by what they find.




Having grown up in a suburb, I contemplate the excerpt of "White Oleander" by Janet Fitch every once in a while, the portion where she laments about how every identical home is a microcosm, an individual world with its own religion and politics, its own law and order. I think about that sometimes while I walk the streets of my own town. I see the families, the children, the parties. I hear the laughter, the arguments, the vernacular, the culture.



I secretly have a wanderlust that can get very deep sometimes, very palpable. It must be the reason I watch so many movies and read so many books. I need the escape from somewhere. Sometimes that escape comes in the form of standing around, singing songs that challenge my range or songs I have not memorized. Singing helps transport me while keeping me centered, all at the same time. It connects me to the earth, to my spirit. The energy I receive from singing is something I cannot find anywhere else.


  Copyright secured by Digiprove © 2010 Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment