Ad

Thursday, June 2, 2016

A Room of One's Own

I haven't been keeping up with my paper journal.  I have done some writing the past year but I wound up losing most of my work since it was on my old laptop that crapped out.  I have most of it backed up, but since then I haven't worked on it at all.   I haven't done much writing of any significance in 2016.  I've been reading a lot and hanging out on twitch and laying low.

Right now I'm reading the diaries of Virginia Woolf.  I am realizing that we have a few things in common, our battle with mental illness being the main one.  I don't have suicidal tendencies, but we both have had nervous breakdowns due to the trauma we have endured in our lives.  Considering what mental health services were like during World War I and just the little information on mental illness in general, let alone in women, added with her having been a child in the Victorian period, I'm sure she had it much worse than I.

I suppose in this house it is very hard to feel like I really have a room of my own if I am to write.  I am rarely alone even when I am in my own room.  That is one of the hardest things to deal with from day to day.


No comments:

Post a Comment